A brilliant article on how Jazz music informs learning and improvisation. Somewhat technical but a classic by Frank Barrett.
Features of jazz that can inform learning.
1. Provocative competence: Deliberate efforts to interrupt habit patterns;
2. Embracing errors as a source of learning;
3. Shared orientation toward minimal structures that
allow maximum flexibility;
4. Distributed task: continual negotiation and dialogue
toward dynamic synchronization;
5. Reliance on retrospective sense-making;
6. ?Hanging out?: Membership in a community of practice;
7. Taking turns soloing and supporting.