Mixed Age Groupings
- Mixed age learning environment.
Flexible skills-based curriculum
- Diverse curriculum emphasizing breadth over depth and focusing on skills and domain knowledge.
- Focus on skills and mindset rather than content.
- Project-based experiential learning.
- Mastery learning.
- Inquiry-based learning.
- Flexible schedules.
- Entrepreneurial learning.
- Activities focused on ways of thinking.
- Imagination playgrounds.
- Self-directed student learning.
- Students choose their own pathway.
- Honoring student agency and working backwards from their passions.
- Students developing musical talents.
- Special path for gifted learners.
- Deep, thoughtful, responsive studies to be developed over the course of a year.
Open to community
- Passion-based education, strong intentional connection with community.
- Field trips every week.
- Partnership with artists to promote creativity.
- One day a week devoted to excursions.
- Students spend a trimester or summer interning at a company or organization.
Formative and authentic assessment
- Culminating events instead of final exams.
- No exams.
- Portfolio based assessment and meetings with parents and collaborators.
- Teachers are collaborators.
Students learning in nature
- Learning in nature.
- Cross-disciplinary focus on environmental learning.
- Education for sustainability.
Focus on integral development of students
- Methodology allows students to connect with their feelings.
- Social emotional learning is a planned instance in the curriculum.
- The aim of the school is to make a difference in the world.
- Joyful, deep, brave.
- Development of whole self, social intelligence, creativity.
- Morning and community meetings.